Scientists from the USA have established a link between gas stoves and early death

    Science 6 May 2024 2423

    Researchers from Stanford University have found that people living in homes with gas stoves regularly inhale harmful substances, primarily nitrogen dioxide NO2. This can lead to the development of asthma in children, as well as early death, according to a study published in the journal Science Advances.

    Rob Jackson, a professor at Stanford University's Doerr School of Sustainability, noted that he did not expect the results. Studies have shown that "the concentration of pollutants in bedrooms will violate safety standards within an hour after using a gas stove and remain there for several hours after turning off the stove," writes aif.ru.

    During the experiment, scientists installed special sensors to measure the concentration of NO2 in more than a hundred houses of different sizes, layouts and with different ventilation methods and recorded the concentration of nitrogen dioxide before, during and after using the plates.

    The results of the study showed that the operation of gas stoves increases exposure to NO2 almost to a level considered unsafe outdoors by the World Health Organization. At the same time, the concentration of harmful substances is significantly higher in apartments and houses with a small area.

    Scientists have concluded that fire products could cause 200,000 current cases of childhood asthma, of which about a quarter are due to NO2. Also, the use of gas stoves in homes could lead to 19 thousand deaths among adults annually. This figure represents 40% of the number of deaths associated with secondhand smoke.

    Earlier studies have established that the products of gas combustion when using stoves in homes are harmful substances methane and benzene. Electric stoves help to avoid harmful effects, and if it is impossible to replace air pollution, you can use ventilation.